Friday, May 22, 2009

Yet another election in Ukraine

I'm about to leave for Moscow where I'll be part of a group studying the progress on creating a unified land registry and cadastre. If you are in the US, you probably won't understand what this is about unless you do this sort of work. It has to do with real estate registration. Suffice it to say, I remember when a team that I led in 1994 recommended a unified system - too much politics and money involved at that time though.

Anyway, before I leave Kyiv, I can't help but comment on the chaotic political mess in Ukraine. Of course, that arguably can be considered the norm since the Orange Revolution. I'm trying to find out more about this guy and his party. The fact Yatseniuk is from Crimea, has some interesting political sympathies and is young may be promising. But then, this is Ukraine and he will be going up against some heavy hitters who don't share power easily, or at all.

The election for President will likely take place in January 2010 - if everyone in the Rada (Parliament) can agree.

Up-date: OK. Go here if you are interested. More information than I have the time to collect.

No comments: